[OM] International PayPal Problems

Subject: [OM] International PayPal Problems
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:48:40 -0500 (EST)
As you may remember, last week we had a discussion about the new international
PayPal service.  It was mentioned that international users need to wait
for some authorisation codes to appear on their credit card statement
before they can authorise their card.  As an international user, I went
through all these hoops only to find that their process is broken :-(
The codes that appear on your statement contain a space in the numbers.
After about 5-6 attempts at entering various combinations of the numbers,
my credit card was locked.  I wrote to customer service about my problems
and received the following response today:

>Thank you for contacting PayPal.
>
>I understand your frustrations and apologize for the
>inconvenience. In regards to your email concern PayPal is aware
>of this situation and will be emailing users with information to
>assist in "confirming" the credit card on PayPal accounts within
>the week.
>
>Please be patient with us while we continue to work to make our
>service more efficient.

It appears they are having some problems with the authorisation process.
International users may want to wait for this additional information before
trying to authorise their card.  I'll post any additional information I
receive.
                                -mark