Re: [OM] wide angle and zoom lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide angle and zoom lens
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:56:50 -0800 (PST)
Pablo Bernad wrote:
Hi, mates, I would like to ask you which is the best option for a wide
angle lens. I own a zuiko 28mm 2.8 and quite like it. However I find
that distorsion is quite evident in corners. (snip)
Pablo, I'm sure you'll receive lots of good advice from members of this
List. My comments are:

1. I'm surprised you've noticed a distortion problem with the 28/2.8;
   it's usually reckoned to be pretty good and I've always been very
   pleased with mine.

2. Depending on your needs, there are many good Zuiko wides. You may
   like to decide what range you plan to have, from the different
   focal lengths available (unless you want them all, of course!).
   One possibility, to avoid having focal lengths that are too close
   together, is 18mm-24mm-35mm; another could be 21mm-28mm-50mm.
   Then you should also decide if you're going for minimal size (and
   cost) or maximum aperture; in most focal lengths, there's a choice.
   You can see the full range at Hans's wonderful "Unofficial Sales
   Information" site http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif.htm

3. I can recommend the 21/3.5, from personal experience. It's tiny
   (about the same size as your 28/2.8) and gives excellent results.

Regards,

=====
Ray