Re: [OM] wide angle and zoom lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide angle and zoom lens
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 16:54:17 GMT
Hi, Pablo,

I've had a Zuiko 28/2.8 for only a couple of weeks now and in limited testing (recovering from a cold, so I've shot only a few frames) it's pleasantly sharp, contrasty and free of the types of distortion I've seen in other 28mm lenses. Straight lines remain straight, even at the edges. In a couple of snapshots of my grandsons I'd think the photos were taken with a 50mm lens if I didn't know better.

If wide angle distortion bothers you, try a 35mm lens - these are very close to the natural aspect of the 24x36 frame of 35mm film, without the ridiculously high cost of the Zuiko 40mm lens. Also, wide angle distortion often is more apparent when the camera is not held level and with the film plane perpendicular with the ground.

Regarding zooms, I can definitely recommend the Zuiko 75-150/4 - couldn't be happier with the one I've got. It's excellent. And I generally prefer two-touch zooms over the push-pull variety.

Another excellent zoom: the Kiron 80-200/4. Okay, it's not a Zuiko, but the quality and price make it a great value.
Lex Jenkins
"Don't worry about everything 'cause nothing's gonna be alright."
- Casey Lechmanski

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:39:25 +0000 (GMT)
From: P Bernad <P.Bernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would like to ask you which is the best option for a wide angle lens. I own a zuiko 28mm 2.8 and quite like it. However I find that distorsion is quite evident in corners.

I would like to ask for advice for a telephoto zoom lens. is the 100-200 OK?