Re: [OM] wide angle and zoom lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide angle and zoom lens
From: ZuikoholicRI@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:04:25 EST
Cc: P.Bernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 11/09/2000 6:52:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
P.Bernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I would like to ask you which is the best option for a wide angle lens. I
> own a zuiko 28mm 2.8 and quite like it. However I find that distorsion is
> quite evident in corners.
> I would like to ask for advice for a telephoto zoom lens. is the 100-200
> OK?

Pablo,

I have both of the lenses you mentioned. I've never noticed any significant
corner distortion with the 28/2.8, but now that you've mentioned it, I'll
have to run some tests ;-) The only other fixed focal length wide I own is
the 24/2. Gary Reese has panned thsi lens for it's distortion, so if you are
particularly concerned with distortion it may not be teh best for you. The
24/2.8 might be better. Personally, I love the 24/2 and have never noticed
the distortion problem, but I use it mostly for landscapes, not architecture,
so distortion isn't a big issue with me.

You asked if the 100-200 is OK. I would say, yes, it is OK. I have both the
100-200/5 and the 65-200/4. The 100-200 is really no match for the 65-200,
but I use it when I want to travel light (which is fairly frequently). The
100-200 is a terrifically small and light lens - it's the only lens I have
that goes to 200mm that fits in my Orion mini fanny pack - but it is also
slow (if you have a camera that will accept them, a 2-x screen is a godsend
with this lens). For the right application, I really like the lens. I don't
know what the going rates are in the UK, but I picked up mine for about
$110US, in excellent condition, including a 6 month warranty.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul Schings