Re: [OM] OM-3Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3Ti
From: "k.matsumoto" <GHA02260@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:55:39 +0900
> They're really trying harder and harder to kill it, aren't they.
> There isno way to justify the prices they want for equipment like
> this. These haveto be incredibly cheap to manufacture, without any
> sophisticated electronicsand with tooling that has long been paid
> for.

I don't think so, as far as they are made in Japan. The main problem
is the wages. Mechanical cameras have more parts hand assembled and
precisely calibrated by highly skilled workers (most of them already
retired). You know, a quartz watch would be much cheaper than a hand
made mechanical watch (unless they are made in Hong Kong or
elsewhere).

I've once heard that, even a veteran camera assembler would forget
the detailed know-hows to build a certain model in only a few
monthes after he (often she) switches to a new model. Training and
maintaining the skills to assemble a mechanical camera should be
very difficult.

I still want to believe Olympus is trying their best to keep the
OM-3Ti on the line-up. They revived the discontinued OM-3 with a
titanium top cover, maybe upon request of the fans.

kazuya matsumoto