Re: [OM] Weddings

Subject: Re: [OM] Weddings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:21:46 +0000
At 16:47 10/6/00 , Roger Skully wrote:
>In a message dated 10/6/00 12:29:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, NSURIT@xxxxxxx
>writes:
>
>> My advise, as one who formerly earned my living with a camera (much of it
>>  doing weddings), is to keep it simple.  A sure formula for failure or
>>  disaster at this wedding is to carry every piece of equipment you own plus
>>  some new stuff you just bought for the occasion.
>I totally agree. I do IMHO believe that zoom lenses are an invitation to many
>out of focus pictures as they first need to be focused at their highest
>resolution and then backed off in order to be sure of sharp focus. Prime
>lenses are easier. You are right, the whole job could be easily done with a
>35mm lens and forget all the other stuff.
>Have Fun!!!!!!
>
>Roger Skully
>robinsnestphotography.com

This thread came at the right time.

[begin primal scream]
AAAUUURRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHH!
[end primal scream]

I had a phone call from my aunt this past weekend.  One of my cousins is
getting married the weekend before Thanksgiving, and they are doing it on a
tight budget.  Guess who is doing their photography?  I've arranged to be
"gaffer and grip" with a local wedding photographer I know well for two
weddings to see how he does them.

I've got it down to the M645 with its 80/2.8 and three primes on the OM-4
(35/2, 50/1.2 and 85/2) and maybe a one-shot usage of a 135/2.8 available
light from the back of the church during the wedding.  The OM-1n would be
on hand as a backup.  An alternative to the primes would be the
35-105/3.5~4.5, but I know the dim viewfinder problem with it indoors, even
with a 2 series screen.

The challenge will be lighting and getting enough of it to do most
everything at f/8.  Has anyone ever run a pair of T-32's in tandem?  Should
have a GN of about 150 (feet) @ ISO 100 (approx. the same as a T45), but
I'd like to diffuse one or both of them too which will cut the GN back down
by about a stop.  Anyone ever done this on a tripod?  I want to tripod at
least the M645 for some of it.  Considering buying the compact Stroboframe
VH-2000, something I've wanted for a while, but just wasn't high on the
priority list.  Anyone used one of these before on an OM?  How well did it
work?  I also have a BG2.

Also, the thread mentioned Portra 400NC quite often.  I've used 160VC for
informals of couples and such in the past and realize the need to use ISO
400 in this situation to help with the lighting.  Any thoughts on NC versus
VC?  How does this compare to Fujicolor 400 NPH?

Thanks,
-- John