[OM] (Fwd) off topic: of course: +40/2 stuff

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) off topic: of course: +40/2 stuff
From: Walt Wayman <HIWAYMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:01:46 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:            owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:       off topic: of course
Date:          Sat, 23 Sep 2000 16:51:22 GMT

>Wow, less Olympus talk than i've ever seen on this list.

>So, a few people got off on vinyl and stereo tangents a few days ago:
>Leading me to a few questions:

>1) Has anyone made their own LP cleaning solution?  Replaced the factory
>cables on their turntable? (I have a Rega Planar 3 with stock cables...)
<

I use two different solutions in my VPI HW-17 record cleaner.  For the
first-time cleaning, even if it?s a brand-new LP, the formula is, per
gallon:
     50 0sopropyl alcohol
     50 0istilled water
     10 drops of Kodak Photo-Flo

After cleaning, I treat the vinyl with Last.

For subsequent cleanings, I use a different formula:
     75 0istilled water
     25 0sopropyl alcohol

If the VPI is full of the first solution and I?m cleaning a record that?s
already been cleaned, I just use what?s in the machine.  It?s not a big
deal.  In fact, when I use up the little bit of the second formula I?ve
already mixed up, I think I?ll use the first one exclusively.  As I get
older, I try to simplify as much as I can, especially since I find myself
contemplating the here-after more and more, like when I?m standing in the
middle of a room and wondering, ?What the hell did I come in here after??

If you?re not using a record cleaning machine, this formula will probably
work with careful hand cleaning, but if you?ve got a large vinyl
collection, or plan to have one, the investment in a VPI or Nitty Gritty is
as highly recommended as a good turntable and cartridge.

I also changed the head wires and cables on my AR turntable/Rega RB300 arm.
 That's a whole 'nother story.  It's not too hard, but you need to be
careful.

I started a firestorm of OT stuff when I happened to mention last week,
under the ?batteries, batteries, batteries? heading, that I carry a Glock
Model 23 in a fanny pack.  I hope we don?t get vinyl wars going now.

By the way, in order to include some obligatory OM content: if you take a
spot reading of an LP with an OM-4 and press the ?shadow? button, it?ll
actually come out black.  So will a Glock.

Walt Wayman