[OM] Olympus poor software (was: Zuiko 180 TEST !!!)

Subject: [OM] Olympus poor software (was: Zuiko 180 TEST !!!)
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:18:03 +0200
On Mon, 04 Sep 2000 22:35:46 +0200, Richard Schaetzl
<Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>My impression with companies going digital is, they tend to apply an
>"bait and switch" policy. No interest in after sale product support,
>good example are scanner driver. There is not much enthusiasm with
>Nikon, Canon, Minolta to write new or improved driver for out of
>production models.

I'll second that, Richard.

But don't forget Olympus: I hate to say it, but their software is
lousy too, and they are behaving contemptuously to their customers.

I need to have TWO different operating systems on my computer, only
because Olympus doesn't write new drivers for its products - which are
not out of production but still being sold!
I need Windows 2000, being the only OS which supports my USB
Smartmedia Card reader, and I must keep Windows 95 or 98 on my machine
because Olympus didn't make Win 2000 drivers for the ES-10 slide
canner.

I also have an Olympus digital voice recorder, and a minitiature card
reader to be connected to the parallel port. The drivers which came
with this one are very bad. When there is no card reader attached to
the parallel port, but another device (Oly scanner) instead, the
drivers for the card reader are still loaded and inhibit proper
functioning of the scanner - unless I change the configuration profile
and tell the system to disregard the card reader drivers. This makes
_another_ reboot necessary.

Why doesn't Olympus integrate the software for its own line of
consumer products (cameras, scanners, voice recorders etcetera) and
make their own equipment products cooperate with each other?
And why don't they maintain things for each of the operating systems
which are widely used (with Win NT and Linux everything is even
worse!)?

Or to put it in other words: Why does Olympus (like other
manufacturers) show such neglect or even contempt for the buyers of
its products?

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht Holland.