Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] Provia 100F versus Kodachrome
From: "Simon E" <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:32:26 GMT
Joel Wilcox wrote:

I would like to shoot Kodachrome again, but you never know what you're
going to get. Perhaps the latest Select version is better.

I don't think Kodachrome has changed in decades. Select is merely re-packaging. Even the pro Kodachrome was exactly the same stock as the amateur film.

If you get a Kodachrome that's gone green, now that's an ugly green.

The bane of my years with this film. Ugly is an understatement!! Yes, when Kodachrome works it is wonderful. But it is too picky with its subject matter/lighting. I love Erwin's recently discussed photos - they demonstrate its qualities. But those of use who are satisfied with the palette of E6 films will probably never return. The bas-relief and great sharpness are a product of its unique chemistry: it is a 3-layer b&w film, where the colours are added during (complex) processing. This also gives it unmatched stability when exposed to extremes of temperature and humidity.

I was suprised Joel commented that he found Astia too bland - the differences are very small. However, tastes vary. There are some Kodachrome die-hards on this list, and each film has its qualities. It is a matter of matching the film to your subject, lighting and personal preferences.

Simon E.