Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: Robinsnes@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:59:03 EDT
IMHO your advice is excellent and well thought out. My first reaction on
reading the beginning was, "Why doesn't he carry ND filters...they are basic
equipment, aren't they?"
    Then I read the next line and you were there. I have found that wide
angle lenses
are the most useful. I have carried the 75-150 and never used it so often
that I could scream. The advantage of wide angle is the ability to create
foreground and background differentiation which will make much more dynamic
images.
    The film question is also interesting. Travel is a great deal different
from work which confines me to Kodak professional 400 NC or VC.
    I have a 20x30 hanging in my studio that I shot with a OM1 in a
waterproof bag (I was in my Kayak) on 400NC.Wow!! do I have respect for that
film. Let me tell you, I am impressed. When I have to shoot negative
film...that's the stuff. BTW the real E.I. is 250. 400 leaves it a bit thin.
    The real stuff for travel is Kodachrome 64. Carry a small table top
tripod...you can brace it against anything handy and be rock stead at any
speed. It also can be used as a chest pod to steady you...lean against a
doorway. That's my $.02
Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com