Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)

Subject: Re: [OM] What lens to carry (again)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 02:31:19 GMT
Roger, I couldn't agree more about Kodachrome. It's certainly the most personal and least objective opinion I hold, but the palette of Kodachrome speaks "travel" to me. Probably the influence of National Geographic and the like.

I wish Kodachrome matched the resolution of newer films, but sometimes good enough is more than good enough. It's my choice for my petrified wood project because it makes the buildings look "right" and, mostly, because I've used the stuff for so long it's become a familiar friend - if a bit narrow minded.

It occurs to me that in specifying Fuji Superia X-tra 800 I omitted several excellent films, but only because they're not commonly available at places like Wal-mart and grocery stores. Fuji NPH, NHG, Kodak Portra, and fast press films from both are all excellent choices. I've shot lots of Superia X-tra simply because it's readily available, cheap in 3- or 4-packs and gives excellent results - lower contrast when shot at 800 or a bit faster, higher color saturation when shot a bit slower.

Lex
===