Re: [OM] Om-2s, om-4...

Subject: Re: [OM] Om-2s, om-4...
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 02:25:05 +0200
On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 10:44:39AM -0400, Francois Corriveau wrote:
> Hi Jhon,
>
> Sorry to bother you offline, but I need your advice. My local repair shop
> told me to stay away from om-2s, om-4(t,ti) because they will break more
> often than om-2(n) and om-1(n).  What do you think?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond!
>
> Francois

Well, the OM-2S, and OM-4`s suffer from the general problems of all electronc
cameras,
(like all other electronic stuff...). The issue is that you can get a good one
wich will
work properly for all the time, sure lot longer than manufacturer like. While
the next camera is a hopeless candidat and will fail all the time.
This is the reason why electronic isn`t repaired too much. In the most cases
  the circuit-board, or the whole camera, is switched in the hope to get a good
one this time.
All Camera manufacturers had this quality probmen when they changed to the
electronic way.
Bad tonges say that they still have it, but don`d admit, and have lerned to
change a criticized
 camery quickly.

In a customer survey in a German Magazine in the mid 80`s ( OM2S amd OM4 were
newly introduced), these OM-Camera`s got bad notes for quality problems. While
the OM-1 was
 decribed to be very reliaby.

The advantage for customer of these  electronicly caused quality problems is
that they occur
very fast. So with warranty you should be on the save side.
Maybe time already seperated the bad from the good samples?- Who knows.

Frieder Faig