Re: [OM] Om-2s, om-4...

Subject: Re: [OM] Om-2s, om-4...
From: Pauls0627@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:28:46 EDT
In a message dated 06/26/2000 11:20:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
francoiscorriveau@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Well, that was supposed to be for John H., but well, I guess everyone can
>  give me their opinion!

OK, you asked for it...

I don't think the OM-1(n) or OM-2(n) are necessarily any more reliable than
the more recent, more electronic, OMs, other than the OM-1's ability to
operate without batteries. The OM-2S and OM-4 are better in this regard than
the OM-2(n), since they offer the additional 1/60 sec mechanical shutter
speed. I know the OM-2S and OM-4 have a reputation for being battery hogs,
but they are certainly no worse than the current crop of wonderbricks. As for
the ones with the bad circuits, I suspect they are all either in the landfill
or have OM-4Ti circuits by now.

If you are looking for reliability your best bet is probably an OM-3Ti or
OM-4Ti - they are still available new, so parts shouldn't be a problem any
time soon. Long term, the earlier mechanical bodies will probably be more
easily repairable. Thats why I have some of both!

Paul Schings