Re: [OM] Om-2s, om-4...

Subject: Re: [OM] Om-2s, om-4...
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:28:31 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Francois,

I do not go by the name "John", but I have some experiences with both
OM2s/p and OM4's. I've had such OM2s/p since the mid eighties, and asside
from having it cleaned and the meters adjusted some years ago, I have had
no problems with it. Ok, if I forget to set the shutter speed to "red 60",
the batteries are drained quite quickly - otherwise they last for about ½
year of heavy usage.

As for the OM4, I seem to remember getting that just before they went out
of production & stock, and I have never had any problems with that either.

On the other hand, both my OM1n and my OM2n have been up for repair. The
first due to a meter which had gone nuts (and at the same time the nice
guys at Olympus Denmark took it apart, cleaned up - and greased??? -
everything and adjusted it, so it now sounds, looks, works and feels like
a brand new). The OM2n is in for repair currently. The problem is a
"wierd" behavior of the shutter: first time I shoot a picture the shutter
is "hanging", yielding a much longer shutter speed than what it is
set for. Then for the following shots, the shutter functions
correctly. Not sure what it is, but the good guys at Olympus Denmark will
probably figure it out and clean up the camera such that I will have a
"looks-feels-works-like-new" OM2n soon.

So should I summarize, my OM2s/p and OM4 have never given problems,
whereas the OM1n and OM2n both have. In truth, the OM1n/2n are older and
have alltogether run more films.

Also, I believe that if something electically goes wrong in an OM2s/p,
then one is pretty much lost. I am of the understanding that only a very
few places actually have electrical circuits in stock for OM2s/p, and that
they further are not being produced any more. (Hence - since the OM2s/p
imho. is the worlds 8th wonder - I am always on the looks for good
OM2s/p's...)

Hope that helps

--thomas