Re: [OM] Trade half of my equipment for one lens??

Subject: Re: [OM] Trade half of my equipment for one lens??
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 00:38:05 +0000
The price (about the equivalent of $550 USD) is at the upper end of what
I've seen in the U.S. for the MC versions (dealers, not eBay).

I think the trade-in you were offered is *not* a good deal though.  I have
to agree with Gregg!  Get a shift if you are doing a fair amount of
architectural work, including monuments and statues, and have found a
_need_ for one.  In spite of regularly using a 35/2.8 shift, I would not
have traded any existing gear for it.

If the need for a shift is occasional, you can use a wider lens such as a
24mm and have cropped prints made from the negative (or transparency).  The
35mm shift "crops" a 35mm angle of view out of a 24mm image circle.  The
advantage is the "crop" of the image circle ends up on an entire 24x36mm
frame.  If, for some reason the 35mm shift it isn't wide enough, and since
I cannot justify the high cost of the 24mm/3.5 shift, that is what I would
do using the 18mm/3.5 which I do have.  Haven't run into that problem yet,
but can envision it happening with a few structures in a tight urban setting.

-- John