[OM] Trade half of my equipment for one lens??

Subject: [OM] Trade half of my equipment for one lens??
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 15:55:46 PDT
Hi,

at the moment I`m in a hard zuikoholic decission, and would like to know what you think about it:

I almost fell from my chair in amazement...:

A local dealer offers a mint Zuiko 35mm F/2.8 Shift. Serial-No. 106xxx black nose and seems to be a MC. He wants DM 1099.- ( DM : $ ~ 2:1 -> $550).

That is a fair price, not too much wrong with that. But:

Now it seems I`d have to trade these items to reach the necessary sum for the Shift:
Zuiko -T 2.8/135 + Telemore 2x
Zuiko-Z 4/65-200
Zuiko-Z 3.5~4.5/35~195
Oly.flash F 280
Vari-magni-finder
Zuiko-S 1.4/50
Soligor Zoom 4~5.6/60~300 - A nice lens, but undervalued.
I bought it new, so I´ve a lot of monney loss with it.
(Maybe my Zuiko-W 2.0/35)

Good grief!!!!
That camera seller has some nerve; of course I'd consider trading the above items against a Zuiko shift; a 24mm one that is! Seriously, you would be much better off keeping all the above as there are some very fine items in there, especially the first three lenses are top-notch lenses. If you're really considering going for the shift you might want to consider selling some of this stuff on e-bay and then just buying the shift rather than making such an unfavourable trade. The 65-200/4 easily cathes $200 on e-bay, the 35-105/3.5-4.5 should catch about the same amount and the 135/2.8 would probably also be good for some $100-$200, so there you go...

I can't believe this guy tries to pull of this stunt; of course he must have obtained this lens for about half the price he charges you, and then he still makes you put in a lot more in countervalue of gear...

I`ve payed about DM 2150.-(2550.-with 2/35) for all that equipment. Now I´ve seen that the price for a new 2.8/35 Shift would be 2311.- here in Germnany. So I´m not sure I´d make a good deal.

Well, I certainly do hope you have your answer now...?

I already planned to reduce my equipment a bit, but the
35~105, or the
2.0/35 are two lenses I wanted to keep.

Well, most of the other stuff you mention is very nice too, and owning most of it (as well as the 35/2.8 Shift) I can assure you that such lenses tend to get a lot more use than the shift.

What are you thinking about it? Does a Shift equal such a lot of equipment,

NO!

My advice, tell the shop owner he's charging WAY too much and tell him the best trade you'll make him is for the 135/2.8, the 65-200/4 and the F280 (and even that sounds like a lot)...

Just my 2 cents, which of course you could trade against 20 DM worth in gear...;)

Cheers!
Olafo