Re: [OM] First foray into the field with OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] First foray into the field with OM-PC
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 01:45:44 EDT
For B & W work it's hard to beat Kodak's Tri-X ASA 400 developed in HC 110.
What a forgiving film with great exposure latitude. Of course you will
undoubtedly need a Neutral Density filter (or two) for those sunny days, for
example a 2X (which reduces light passage making ASA 400 film meter like ASA
200 film) or a 4X (which makes it meter like ASA 100 film.) The ND filters
will provide more depth of field and shutter speed combinations with the fast
Tri-X film.

IMHO, if I were in your place and limited in space I'd take the OM-PC with a
50 mm/f1.4 or f1.8 lens (for those shots which require a larger aperture to
compensate for low light situations), a 50 mm/f3.5 Macro for closeups, a
28-70 mm/f3.5-4.5 zoom lens (nice short lens which handles the wide angle,
normal and short telephoto chores nicely), a 75/150 mm/f4 zoom lens (which
extends the telephoto range and opens up a few more composition
possibilities), a good 2X converter, a sturdy tripod, yellow and orange
filters for B & W (to darken sky and make any clouds stand out), C4 (blue for
reducing red in early morning and late evening pictures) and W4 (amber for
adding red in shade or on overcast days) color-balancing filters, plus a
polarizing filter. I would carry Kodak Gold 100 or 200 (more 200 than 100 and
possibly a roll or two of 400) for color and Tri-X for B & W. I know that
others might prefer more exotic lenses, with this outfit *I* wouldn't feel
deprived in any way.

If I were REALLY pushed for space, I'd take the 28-70 mm/f3.5-4.5 zoom lens,
the 50 mm/f3.5 Macro, the 75-150 mm/f4 zoom lens, the filters and the 2X
teleconverter. If necessary, I'd compensate for the slower lenses with faster
speed film. That would handle nicely at least 950f my picture opportunities.

Robert