Re: [OM] First foray into the field with OM-PC

Subject: Re: [OM] First foray into the field with OM-PC
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 22:18:54 -0400
From: Lex Jenkins
> Thomas humbly replies:
> >Ok, I am no Lex or Gary...
>
> Ah, but you are the very best Thomas as only you can be.  ;)
>
> And I agree with your advice to try b&w.  Even the C41 process stuff like
> Kodak B&W+ and Ilford XP2 is terrific.
>
> >but the "top three points" for peons like me
> >would be:
> >
> >1: Go simple - one body, one lens, one filmtype. The purpose is to learn
> >    what your gear can - and can not - do. (Knowing in particular what it
> >    can not do will help you identify which extra gear you will need to
> >    acquire). You will find it amazing how much a 50/f1.8 can really be
> >    used for.
> >

> Ditto.  Absolutely.  I had nothing but a normal lens for whatever camera I
> was using, even through photography school, until I was in my twenties, by
> which time I'd been taking photographs pretty seriously for more than 12
> years in 35mm, MF and even a bit of LF.
>
> Consider that many photographers working with medium and large format
> cameras use the equivalent normal lens extensively or exclusively.  We
35mm
> SLR buffs are kinda spoiled, isn't we?

Excellent advice!  We should all do that more.  OK, now the opposite side of
the coin.  Take one subject and use all your lenses and shoot with each.
Then compare to see exactly what each lens is capable of.  Do this for
infinity, mid focus and close-up.  Use a very small f-stop, medium f-stop
and wide open in each case.  Discover which lens "talks" to you and just
feels right when you use it.

> >I'd also be upset if I saw you spend good
> >money on nice photo-gear, and you just sat in front of the computer
rather
> >than be out there taking pictures... ;)

One question, how long have you been married? :-)  She may not want you
outside taking pictures.  She may want quality time talking to you.  From
what I've seen in TOPE 1 it would be a safe bet that she is nicer to look at
than most of us (I can't even get a good enough mug shot to post!) so keep
your priorities straight.

> >--thomas
>
> I can't think of a thing to add to Thomas' suggestions, including the bit
> with the wifey.
> ---
> Lex

Gregg