Re: [OM] 135mm lens...what to buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] 135mm lens...what to buy?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:07:34 +0000
I'm going to do a "John Hudson" and you can see four more done recently
with a 135/2.8 Zuiko MC here (the first two were posted a couple months ago):
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/johnlind/olympus/olympusgallery/om48.html
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/johnlind/olympus/olympusgallery/om49.html
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/johnlind/olympus/olympusgallery/om54.html
  http://members.xoom.com/_XMCM/johnlind/olympus/olympusgallery/om60.html

Some give an idea of its bokeh and others its resolving power within the
limitations of digitizing and monitor raster.

It is worth mentioning (in fairness to Keith) that Gary's lens tests show
the f/2.8 and f/3.5 nearly equal.  They have similar, even performance
across their aperture ranges, except the f/3.5 very slightly softer wide
open.  It is probably not enough to notice in most photographs.

What you get with the f/2.8:
Brighter viewfinder, a half-stop more for existing light, and ability to
get a bit shallower DOF.

What you get with the f/3.5:
Smaller size, lighter weight, compatibility with all filters you have for
your 50mm along with ability to reverse it, and more money left in your pocket.

-- John
(who enjoyed seeing John Hudson's fine work with his 135mm)