Re: [OM] 135mm lens...what to buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] 135mm lens...what to buy?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 01:51:43 +0000
I highly recommend the 135/2.8 Zuiko MC.  EX+ to LN- "MC" ones go for about
$150-170 USD depending on where you buy it.  (Avg. eBay is $112, but
includes all conditions.)  They are not hard to find.  I found mine to be a
very fine lens.  Just got some Kodachrome 64 back last Friday and projected
them on a screen.  Those shot with the 135/2.8 Zuiko MC demonstrated very
high detail; more than I expected and produces nice bokeh thus far (not
thoroughly tested for it).  The f/2.8 does have a 55mm ring though (you
mentioned using a reversing ring with standard lens for macros).

If you cannot afford the f/2.8 then consider the f/3.5 Zuiko which goes for
under $100.  The f/3.5 has a 49mm ring and is easily found for under $100 USD.

An alternative to using a reversing ring for macros is extension tubes with
the 135mm and/or your 50mm . . . if they don't slow the lens down too much
and still get enough magnification for you.  Oly auto tubes are expensive
($50+ each used).  A complete set of all three Vivitar auto tubes can be
had for approx. $30-50 if you are patient in looking (the set is $100 new).
 The three Vivitar tubes stacked together extend 68mm (12, 20, and 36).
Build quality on the Vivitar auto tubes is a little less than the Oly tubes
but still decent (I have a set of them plus an Oly 7mm auto tube).

I have seen numerous examples of the ubiquitous Vivitar f/2.8 and was not
impressed with its build compared to a Zuiko.  Never used the Vivitar so
the comments are based on simply handling several of them.

Recommend saving up if you need to and getting a good one to begin with.
If you are a true Zuikoholic, you just won't be happy until you do have a
good one.  You'll spend time scheming how to justify (or sneak in) the lens
upgrade instead of shooting photographs and scheming how to get the next
focal length you want.

-- John