Re: [OM] 135mm lens...what to buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] 135mm lens...what to buy?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:21:16 PDT
The now-unfashionable 135mm lens remains one of my favorites. I find that most folks appear to feel a bit like I'm invading their personal space when I use the shorter teles. Experienced models would be another matter. But I still believe the 135mm is best for nice portraits of plain folks. Much farther - like with a 200mm - and they begin to get a rather detached look, indicating I'm too far away. There's a good reason why the 135 was an industry standard for a long time.

Twenty bucks sounds about right for a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 in excellent condition (whatever that means nowadays - let's just call it good clean glass and no more than a few scuffs or cosmetic scratches on the outer barrel). Only the Vivitar close focusing version (I think it goes to 1:2) might fetch a few more bucks from a knowledgeable seller.

I paid $15 for a Lentar preset 135mm f/3.5. It's the sturdiest preset I've ever seen, tho' a bit larger than most presets. The bokeh - how it renders out of focus backgrounds - is absolutely lovely. It is sharp without being cruel, making it the perfect portrait lens. Only the longish 6.5' minimum focusing distance compromises it somewhat. That's common with most 135mm lenses, tho'.

Considering the relatively low prices of Zuiko 135mm lenses, why not go for one of those? You'll probably appreciate the smaller size and weight. And if your main anticipated use is people pix, I'd actually recommend a single coated lens over a "superior" multicoated version. The very slight loss of contrast sometimes associated with single coated lenses can actually be an asset when photographing people. Just keep an eye on stray light sources and use a lens hood.

Lex