[OM] OM 10 mirror problem

Subject: [OM] OM 10 mirror problem
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:38:25 -0400
Hi Mike,
The OM-10 and its younger brother, the OM-G are notorious for having the
armature of the timing solenoid stick to the magnet.  However, John H.
already replied that he didn't think that was the case here since it
should stay stuck with or without power.

In Tomosey's book on camera repair he also notes that a common shutter
timing problem on the OM-10 is due to dirty or corroded contacts on the
mode switch.  To quote:

"If you have trouble with shutter timing on either auto or manual
settings, or if the shutter on "B" will open but will not close, inspect
the mode selector wipers first.... the wiper springs are nickel-plated
and corrode more readily than do gold-plated contacts.  Clean the
contacts thoroughly with a wire brush in a motor tool (sand them off
only if they are actually rusty).  Clean the printed circuit on the
ceramic board with tissue and lighter fluid.  Bend the wiper contacts
higher to insure good contact.   Once on, see that the wipers are
centered on the printed contacts properly.  If they are not, bend them
sideways for proper tracking.

To get to the mode switch contacts you'll have to remove the top cover.
Remove the rewind crank by removing the screw in the center of the
crank.  Remove the knob and the circlip underneath and the cover plate
and switch ring.  On the other side, remove the pin face screw on top of
the winding crank.  Remove the six screws around the skirt of the top
cover.  The mode selector switch and the ASA knob will come off with the
cover.  Don't disturb the ASA dial and make sure is goes on in exactly
the same position it came off.  Also, when removing the cover look out
for the door latch spring which fits over a short stud at the 10 o'clock
position relative to the rewind crank.  The cover has a bunch of wires
attached so it must remain dangling.

I have successfully removed and replaced the cover and mode switch of an
OM-G so I know this repair to be within the range of possibility for
anybody who can work carefully and methodically. The only problem I had
was that the cover screws were in so tightly that I suspect they were
put in with something like "Loctite".  Use a good screwdriver with a
point that fits the screw heads very precisely so that it can't slip out
or gouge the screw.

ps:  ditch the alkaline batteries and use silver oxide instead.

Good luck
Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA