Re: [OM] OM 10 mirror problem

Subject: Re: [OM] OM 10 mirror problem
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:34:42 +0100
On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 14:15:30 +1000, Mike wrote:

>When I press the shutter release my OM10s shutter opens for an inordinately
>long period of time, sometimes 10 to 30 seconds or many minutes, or
>permanently before closing.  During this time the shutter is open and the
>mirror is fully up.  If I remove the battery cover the shutter closes and
>the mirror comes down. And if I operate without batteries it sounds like the
>shutter opens and closes okay.  I have just added 2 new Energizer A76
>alkaline 1.5 volt cells, but this hasn't helped.  I'm presuming the problem
>is electronic rather than mechanical.

I assume the camera is being operated in its auto mode (no manual
adaptor).  I've known this happen on OM2n's when the ASA resistor
(activated by the film speed selector) gets dirty and loses effective
contact with its wiper. The camera thinks it's got a film of about
0.01ASA in it :-).

Try operating the film speed knob vigorously a few times and see what
happens then. If it seems to cure it, even temporarily, that's the
problem. Not too difficult to repair, I would have thought.

--
John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)