Re: [OM] Thanks from the New Guy with Old Questions!

Subject: Re: [OM] Thanks from the New Guy with Old Questions!
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:29:54 -0400
Thanks and thanks again for your comments and advice... (aside to Volkhart:
I work in South Boston : ) )...

Well, I got the camera last night...it's an OM-2n.   It's in beautiful
condition; unmarred except for the usual bright marks above the strap lugs
and a couple of very light scratches on the base plate.  I don't even think
the tripod socket's ever been threaded!    The camera optics look swell.
The lens, a 50mm f1.8, is in pretty decent shape (near mint cosmetically)
except for some interior dust.  Since I don't normally use a "normal" lens
anyway (it seems that most situations call for either a moderate wide angle
or a short tele), I plan to augment the 50 with a 28 or 35 and an 85 or 100
or whatever.  PLEASE suggest some appropriate Zuiko optics, if you would.

The only drawbacks to the OM-2n, in my opinion, are its lack of "default" to
mechanical shutter state (like the Nikon EM's 1/90 sec.) should the
batteries expire, and the absence of a mirror lockup.  However, the camera's
beautiful finish, feel and balance more than make up for these minor
deficits.   The size and weight are very reminiscent of my old Leicas (a
compliment, indeed).  It's just right!

I am VERY grateful for all your advice, and I followed it.  Basically I
chose the OM-2n over the OM-2S Program because of the 2n's overall better
condition and its simplicity.  My "serious" camera is a veteran Rollei SL66;
an all-mechanical, meterless tank that's 1000ercent camera / 0 0adget.
While I think the spot metering capability of the 2S Program would have been
nice, the averaging metering of the OM-2n is just fine with me.  A little
experience and...more importantly...prudent exposure bracketing make
incremental metering kind of an unnecessary luxury anyway.  Besides, I'm
used to no internal metering and no automation at all, so the 2n is a real
high-tech  wonder to me!  And, I like the idea that the OM-2n has fewer bits
to break.

Of course, the real test of this camera will be the negatives it renders.
We'll see...literally...tomorrow.

Thanks again, my friends,

Craig
Gloucester (near Boston), Massachusetts

PS  Watch for the movie "The Perfect Storm" this summer.  It was filmed in
my home town.