Re: [OM] New Guy - Old Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] New Guy - Old Questions
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:53:52 +0100
Craig Roberts wrote:
>I have the opportunity to trade my vintage Nikkormat FT for an Olympus OM-2
>or OM-2S Program.  The cameras appear to be in good working order and are
>equipped with their respective Nikkor and Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lenses.
>
>1) Are the cameras comparable in quality and ruggedness of build?  (I do
not
>abuse equipment...in fact, I baby it...but durability is important to me).
The real Olympus equivalent of the Nikkormat FT is the OM-1(n). Both the
OM-2 and OM-2SP have electronically controlled shutters and Off-the-film
flash functions that are lacking in the mechanical models. Neither are
feeble in the durability department though.

>2)  How do the Nikkor and Zuiko optical qualities compare?  (I find Nikkor
>less than thrilling...but that's because I owned Leicas for years until a
>family illness forced the sale of my modest collection).
I had a small FT outfit in the '60s - was quite pleased with the body but
very disappointed in the Nikkor lenses (50/2, 35/2.8 and a 105mm), and at
that time had been used to Leica screw and Petriflex lenses. I had the great
good fortune to find someone to swap it for a similar Leica M2 outfit. After
the Leica went I bought my first OM and have never thought of Zuikos as
being inferior to the Leitz lenses I had.

>3) Given equal condition, which Olympus is preferable, the OM-2 or OM-2S
Program?
In value terms the OM-2SP is much higher than the OM-2 but has the
disadvantage that if the electronics fail there are no spares available.
Despite the similarity in their model numbers, they aren't close cousins -
the OM-2SP is much more like an OM-4 operationally and internally.
I'm not au fait with the current prices but I feel that you may do a bit
better by selling your FT and buying your OM model of choice after looking
closer into their specifications. Look into the selling prices - you may be
able to afford an extra Zuiko lens as well.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)
k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx