Re: [OM] Slide films -- a review.

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide films -- a review.
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:24:43 GMT
Alex wrote:

>Is Fuji Sensia really an amateur Astia???

Yep. Edge markings are RA on Sensia II, RAP on Astia. I asked a rep at the
recent Focus show in Birmingham, and she said the only real difference was
that there would be greater batch-to-batch variation in the amateur film.
Info from the Professionaly Photography FAQ (Sept 1999) on Fuji's website
specified:

"The emulsions are basically the same. However, professional chrome film has
a slightly higher base density that makes for better scanner separations.
The whites are more consistent from a scanned professional chrome. The
slightly higher base density also makes for more detail in the brightest
areas. It should be stressed that this difference is minimal but it does
exist. Likewise, amateur film has a slightly lower base density for crisper
looking images when projected."

While we're on the subject, the same page also says:

"Fujichrome emulsions' initial aging is excellent so no ripening is needed.
Fuji Film's tight control on quality eliminates the need to select one
emulsion over another for purposes of labeling it as a professional product
vs. an amateur product."

Simon E.