Re: [OM] Slide films -- a review.

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide films -- a review.
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:29:24 -0800
In a message dated 3/23/2000 Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

<< I have read/heard that Provia F does push well to 200 and that many
wildlife photogs are pretty well settled on it this year.  Maybe a few
hundred rolls of Provia F will be needed to break in that fancy 350/2.8
with 1.4x teleconverter I NEED to buy. >>

I heard the same thing talking with other media photographers at a CART
race last fall who were testing it. According to them, they could push
Provia F to 200 with little or no noticable change, and to 400 with only
minimal effect on grain and color. My lab charges $1.50 per stop (not
too bad for 200 but not so good at 400). I figured I would only do this
when I really couldn't shoot at 100 ISO (which isn't often as I always
managed to get what I need, even on overcast rainy days, shooting Provia
at 100). The marking issue is certainly a concern as well.

I have only shot once so far this year with Provia F (the racing seasons
are just getting started and I shoot print film for family snapshots,
etc.). The day was overcast, flat, raining. The track was Sears Point
which is normally the typical California golden coastal foothills. Not
in February. Vivid green grass was the order of the day. Results were
quite impressive. My keep/toss ratios weren't so great since I was
testing some new (to me) lenses and was only needing to get one car from
a new forming team that I will be a "photographic sponser" of.

Provia F will be my film of choice from now on. I have been using Fuji
"RD" for many years now and have always felt it was a good compramise
between speed and grain. Provia F only takes that to a new level and the
ability to push a stop when required will help at times.

Yes Ken, we still need that miracle film you dream of. For now Provia F
could well be the next best thing.

My long and wordy extra .02 worth...

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography