Re: [OM] Slide films -- a review.

Subject: Re: [OM] Slide films -- a review.
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:10:56 -0600
>>> Is Fuji Sensia really an amateur Astia???
>>Fuji Sensia is, for all practical purposes an amateur Provia.
>I have heard this.  But in my experience Astia *looks* more like Sensia II
>than Provia.  FWIW.

Sensia was consumer "version" of Provia
Sensia II is consumer "version" of Astia

Only difference I've seen between Sensia and Provia was the base as
Provia/Velvia/Astia has a slight milky cast which supposably scans better.
Sensia II really does have nicer skin tones, but sacrifices the punch that
I've grown to love about Fuji films.

I think one of the things about Velvia that most people have trouble with
is the shadows go dark pretty quick.  The response of Velvia is not as
linear as other films on the -stop side, but I really appreciate its
ability to hold detail on the +stop side.  Compare to Kodachromes' washout
characteristics and you know what I mean.  On a Sunny-16 day with puffy
clouds, I'll prefer Velvia to all other slide films.  When shooting nature
closeups I am very carefull about my lighting ratios and will use fill
lighting (reflectors), umbrellas, even flash to keep the subject from going
contrasty but still maintaining color saturation.

Film is like french fries--everybody has personal favorites.  I like
McDonalds fries, but others prefer Arby curly fries, etc.  The real truth
is learn a film and adjust your vision to the film.  Seem backward?
Shouldn't it be vision first, film second?  Yes, but if you are trying to
standardize on just one or two types of film for the bulk of your work you
really need to match your vision to the technology.  I've adjusted my
vision to Velvia's capabilities and compose accordingly.  It's similar to
B&W printing--your aim isn't necessarily accuracy, but impact and message.
B&W prints that go only from Zone 2-8 tend to be pretty lifeless--even
though they might actually be "true" to reality.  Why should my slide film
be any different?  Think of Velvia as B&W with color!

I'd still kill for a good ISO 200 slide film....

Ken Norton