[OM] Slide films -- a review.

Subject: [OM] Slide films -- a review.
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:07:33 EST
I have gone through quite a few rolls in the past few months and I thought
I'd share some opinions with the list. Beginning with favorites to least
favorites:

    1) Provia F -- it is indeed super sharp looking, has nice skin tones,
                        reasonable punch and pushes well to 200. This will
                        be my most used slide film. Have yet to try it to 400!

    2) Kodachrome 25 -- I favor it's color rendition above all others, but
it's
                        slow speed and slightly less than reliable processing
limit
                        it to casual landscape/sunny day outings. I like it's
muted
                        "Italian Renascence" look more than the clearer,
cooler,
                        punchier Provia F, but the later with it's 4X-8X
speed and
                        even greater sharpness delivers far more "keepers".

    3) Kodachrome 64 -- Although it isn't quite as sharp K25, I plan to use
this
                         a lot more than K25 due to it's greater speed.

    4) Kodak 100SW -- this film has a nice built in warming cast, that allows
                         you to forego using 81A filters on overcast days! It
has
                         just the right amount of additional punch as well.

   5) Velvia -- I found this film a little too contrasty. and overdone for
                    my general use. I quit using it some years ago, preferring
                    Kodachrome--uncertain processing and all

    6) Kodak 100VS --  Just tried a few rolls. Way too "CANDY" looking
                    for me. Plus I noticed much more grain than even 100SW.
                    I shot some regular red apples in a still life and they
                    came out looking like they had just been dipped in hard
                    red candy coating.

    7) Fuji Astia -- Tried some in the hope that it might look like an E6
                    Kodachrome. It doesn't! Contrast too flat and pallid for
                    me. Seems a niche "catalog photography" film.

Alex