Design compromisse (was Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built)

Subject: Design compromisse (was Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built)
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:55:19 +0100

ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx schrieb:

> In a message dated 2000-03-20 9:14:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx schrieb:
>  > Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>  > << ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx schrieb:
>
>  >  > paying enough attention to bokeh, not having enough F2.0 lenses,
>  >
>  >  They have F1.4 lenses instead.>>
>  >
>  >         Yes, but those 35F1.4, 55F1.2, 85F1.2 and 85F1.4 lenses are much
>  > bigger than F2.0 lenses would need to be!
>
>  And F2.8 lenses would be even smaller!>>
>
>         The Zeiss 35F2.8 Distagon is about the same size or bigger than the
>          Zuiko 35F2.0 and Canon35F2.0FD.

Thats big. A similar situation exists between Nikkor 28mm F2.0 and F2.8.
Both lenses have practicaly the same size. The advantage of "oversized"
lenses is the reduction of light-fall-off at wide open aperture.

> I have high regard for the talents of Zeiss and Kyocera and understand their
> choices and direction! It's just that I prefer Zuiko and Canon FD design
> choices more.

The OM-System is realy special in his conception. Nearly all components
were already designed when the OM-1 entered the market. Only small
changes were made to utilize the new technologies.

Canon FD had an realy impressive assortement of lenses and it took
nearly 10 years for Canon to recreate an similar assortement for EOS.

Regards

Richard