Re: [OM] film longevity

Subject: Re: [OM] film longevity
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:42:58 +0100
"M. M. Sparks" schrieb:

> *- DORIS FANG -* wrote:
>
> >   It's the process. Kodachromes do not stand up well to being projected.
> > One should keep the times for each projection below 10 seconds.
> > E-processed slides OTOH, can survive projection much better.
>
> Wilhelm came to this conclusion when he published his book on color
> longevity some years ago.  I think he claimed that Kodachrome showed the
> first signs of color degradation after about 1 hour of projection, and I
> think it didn't matter if it was an hour-long "exposure" or sixty
> one-minute showings.

If heard that measurable (not neccesaary vissible) degeneration can be
detected after some minutes of projection.

I´ve heard too that repeated short duration projection does more harm
than continous projection of the same time.

> The dyes added to the different layers in K-14 are derived from the same
> pigments used in automotive paint . . . .pretty tough stuff.

But automotive paint doesn´t fade in the sun (OK not as fast as
Kodchrome ;-).

Aren´t slides made for projection?

Regards

Richard