Re: [OM] film longevity

Subject: Re: [OM] film longevity
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:47:00 +0000
There are two issues that both Doris and Denton have touched on:  reversal
archival and projection life.

Kodachrome has the longest dark storage archival life of any chrome film
yet made, provided it is archived properly and protected.  Dark storage
doesn't mean in a darkroom necessarily, just not projected or out in broad
daylight.

OTOH, Kodachrome will not withstand long periods or highly frequent
projection as well as Elitechrome or other E-6 films which will last much
longer under projection.

Sooooo, it depends on what you are looking for and how you define
"longevity."  Archival storage or repeated projection?  I tend to stay with
the Kodachrome because I like its color rendition and its archival
longevity in storage.  I don't project that many that often.  If I were
doing repeated projection of canned slide programs I would use a different
film or slide dupes for the presentations (somehow dupes never are quite as
nice as the originals though).

One thing was also mentioned about the older Ektachrome not having much
archival longevity.  True, but the newer Elitechrome has a much better dark
storage archival life that is about 3/4 that of Kodachrome now.  I still
like Kodachrome better than Elitechrome, but that is a very personal
preference.

There is a site with actual longevity data from controlled accelerated life
testing, but I couldn't find the URL for it.   :-(   (Might be on
Greenspun's Photo.net somewhere.)

-- John