Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built

Subject: Re: [OM] The OM that Olympus never built
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 19:11:56 EST
In a message dated 2000-03-17 5:47:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx schrieb:

 > I disagree with some of the above. Zeiss/Contax have been criticized for
not
 > paying enough attention to bokeh, not having enough F2.0 lenses,

 They have F1.4 lenses instead.>>

        Yes, but those 35F1.4, 55F1.2, 85F1.2 and 85F1.4 lenses are much
bigger than F2.0 lenses would need to be!

 > not using
 > LD/ED glass in their telephotos,

 They use it, but they don´t clutter the lens with meaningless acronyms
 (do you realy believe Sigma has ever produced an apochromatic lens?).

         If you go to photodo.com and look at the test results of the latest
         Contax 645 140F2.0 and 210F4.0. And then look at the long
         lenses for the Conatx slr.

 > not having enough diaphragm blades

 Isn´t it meaningless to count blades, coating layers etc, what counts is
 the resulting image.

           Agreed, but I had one guy moan about the obvious hexagon
           highlights in pictures taken by his 50F1.4 Planar!

 > and being
 > just a little too caught up in that effete "gold plated" collector-itis
that
 > the Germans seem to really be into.

 Well, Contax is not German at all (the brand is, but not the company).
 I´ve no numbers, but I would bet the "collectors item" are sold mainly
 outside of Germany (in absolut and relative numbers). In regards to
 collector-itis Contax is not like Leica, but anyway we live in a market
 oriented society, if there is demand...

 > Some cases in point are the highly
 > regarded 50F1.4 lens has only 6 diaphragm blades to everyone else's 8,

 You say it "highly regarded", so it must be OK

  there
 > are no 28F2.0

 ...there was an 28mm/2.0

 > or 35F2.0

 ...but an 35mm/1.4

          HUGE  though compared to a 35F2.0 Zuiko which is the same
          size as the 35F2.8 Distagon.

 > or 85F2.0 lenses

 ...but an 85mm/1.4 and was an 85mm/1.2 (limited edition)

 > in the line, and the 180 and above
 > have fallen far behind their Canon/Nikon equivalents.

 The 300mm/2.8 (for Contax and Hasselblad) is definitly an superior
 design.

 Regards

 Richard

Alex