[OM] Marketing Ploy (BW's last comments)

Subject: [OM] Marketing Ploy (BW's last comments)
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 19:11:47 -0800
To Tom & all who responded in defense of his selling tactics and motives.

I will only make this one comment on this issue.  Those that have known me
for the past 2 years should know I do not participate in flame wars.  While
I have started this one, I have done so because I feel it is important to
keep this list from turning into a sales forum.

Tom, it is my opinion that you are (intentionally or not)using this list as
a captured audience to finance your personal gains way beyond simply putting
together a nice Olympus system.
If this forum allows you this privilege, we should also allow Olympus Guy,
B&H Used Department and others the same privileges.  We should even put adds
on ebay to sell their stuff here - first!  What would be the difference?

I should explain what started me on this bandwagon.  Yesterday I was sorting
through my deleted post list by name.  I scanned through your name and
started reading.  Approximately 23 of your last 27 post referenced buying,
selling or baiting list members to email you if interested.  If you are so
interested in this forum, Why no questions on Photography or how some
Olympus product works?  What amazed me most was you talk about buying 5 or 6
systems and then turn around and sell them.  I think you even used the word
"Volume Pricing" and "modest profit".  But, you are not a dealer?  What
would you call yourself?

It is up to Gills and Shawn to determine the destiny of the Olympus Forum on
this issue.
I've had my say, and I stand by my position.
Buddy Walters

Tom, this is a brief list of what I read from you between 2/23 to 3/5:
-Today just brought an OM-G with a 50 1.4 (>1m).  Great shape.  Probably
dump the OM-G
-I'm bummed.  I thought I was close on negotiating for two separate OM
outfits, both pretty big.
-Yes, too many bodies. I'm about to dump most of the consumer bodies onto
ebay.
-I'm even going to put some Zuikos on the market.
-Oh, I'll share now...The biggest success has been posting Want To Buy (WTB)
notices on the rec.photo.35mm.marketplace newsgroup.  I've had probably 5 or
-I find this whole conversation interesting, as I'm buying and selling a
lot.
-If I didn't get good prices, it wouldn't work.
-In my 'travels', I've found a new in box OM-2 Black.
-I am about to receive a 20/2 macro lens. It's been discussed here over the
last few days
and I'm going to put it up for sale.  A list member has expressed interest
-I know the price is completely ridiculous, but I bought an 85-250 from him
and he started out way to high and ended up at a fair price.
-Well, today was a lot of fun.  I received many new toys, too many to even
play with yet.  They included a user 4T that despite considerable brassing
is in pretty good shape.  I suspect it's the only one I'll keep.
-I have an opportunity to buy a user OM-4 for a little less than $200.
-Well, I've decided to sell it.  I've just got way too much invested, so
I've got to sell some of the things that I've bought.
-So, that's today's for sale list.  I suspect I'll put the macro setup
(20/2,
50/2, 80/4, 135/4.5, 65-116) up for sale soon, but several people have
expressed interest, so I'll offer to them first.
- As you can all see from the previous email, now I have to sell a little.
-I'll take it back if you aren't happy when you receive it.
-Sure, everything.  Just kidding, but I will probably keep buying complete
systems when I run across them.
-Just picked one up on Friday.., with an OM-4,
200/5,75-150,135/3.5,100/2.8,50/1.4,50/3.5
Macro,28/3.5/T20/310.
-I have been fortunate in picking up a lot of equipment.  What I sell on
ebay
I hope to make a modest profit to feed my habit. Not feeding as well if I
sell it all to list members,
-Skip, I'll keep my eyes open, but the more unusual stuff is sure hard to
find.
-Well, I decided to gamble.  It actually comes with two nice Tokina
lens(35-70 2.8 and 70-210 3.5).  Anybody know ... what they are worth (or
interested in them)?
-That means my excellent plus 4T that is in at Camtech will be for sale when
I get it back.
-I've gotten flush with bodies again.
-Volume pricing.  I can generally buy an entire setup