Re: [OM] OT Metric system, was Better Flash recs ...

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Metric system, was Better Flash recs ...
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 14:17:28 +0100
On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:12:19 -0800, "Charles Loeven"
<cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>==="It'll mess up my recipes", etc.  The problem is either our own
>stubbornness
>or our stupidity!
>Metric is MUCH better!
>
>Brian P. Huber====
>

>Nope, not stubborn or stupid.
>It is how we do it.
>Should we all have our cars converted to
>right hand drive also?
>And throw away all our recipe and technical books?
>Are Australians stupid because they don't use our measures?
>How is metric "MUCH better" when we arrive at the same place
>in the same time no matter if we drive kilometers or miles?
>
>Charlie (I need to lose a stone or two) Loeven

But this is exactly the point, Charlie.

And it brings us back where we started:
Nasa proved that it does NOT bring you at the same place and in the
same time if you use miles where the whole civilized world (including
the US of A, I guess) have agreed to use kilometers.

Did you know, BTW, that Zuiko 50 and 90 mm macro lenses made for the
USA have feet on the distance scale, where the same lenses in the rest
of the world have meters?
Now I come to think of it, I wonder why these macros are not called 2
inch and 3.5 inch lenses for the convenience of the people who like
using their feet more than using their brains.... ;-)

The mm for focusing distance is no longer disputed, or is it?

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.