Re: [OM] OT Metric system, was Better Flash recs ...

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Metric system, was Better Flash recs ...
From: "Gregg" <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 19:22:29 -0500
Reminds me of a joke I heard once, you have probably already heard them all
(since you are from Texas).

Seems a man from Tennessee was visiting his brother in Texas.  The Texan was
bragging about how large his ranch was (especially since he knew how small
farms in Tennessee tend to be).  He went on to say, "I can get in my pickup
and drive till lunch and still not be to the other side of my property!"
His brother looked at him and replied, "I used to have a pickup like that
too."

It's all in your perspective, I guess.  I wouldn't mind using the metric
system entirely, but I'm not switching  sides of the road!  BTW, what foot
is for the gas pedal if you drive *backwards*? <g>

OM content.  It really takes no time at all to get used to everything being
backwards in the Varimagnifinder.  It's a lot like using the enlarger.  I
think the human mind can get used to almost anything if we give it a hard
enough try.

I do understand the bit about changing recipes, a friend who worked at
Whirlpool in the test kitchens said that flour and other ingredients have
slightly different compositions in different countries.  Also, the quantity
being cooked changes a recipe (this from a baker friend).  It doesn't work
to just convert quantities by multiplying  or dividing.  So changing to a
metric system would require quite an adjustment.
Gregg