RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 10:57:55 +0000
I think you should take a look at Benbo also, as Brian mentioned, however
I think he was a bit conservative in his praise.  You would have to see
one in the flesh to really appreciate how nifty and versatile they are.
They are constructed in quite a different manner to all other tripods
(excluding unilock) I have seen.  They are especially good for macro.

I went out last weekend in search of photo opportunities and was up in the
Silvermine Mountains near where I live and one thing I came across was a
large clump of frog spawn at the side of a track in a large puddle/ditch.
To get the 90/2 positioned where I wanted it I ended up with one leg down
in the bottom of the water, another on firm ground and another almost in
the water on a spongy bit.  The whole thing was close to the ground with
the apex of the three legs only about a foot or less of the ground with
the central column angled down from the apex so the camera was very close
to the water.  I think I got some nice shots.

This was the first time I have needed the Benbos water-proof legs feature.

Don't worry too much about not having to extend the central column to get
to eye height because if you follow Olympus' precept that a tripod is a
weight support rather than a fixed mounting platform you should get just
as sharp photos.

Giles