RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 01:28:38 +0000
I think the problem may be that the Benbo is so different to other tripods
you could easily make the mistake of thinking that fiddling with one for a
few minutes in a shop has taught you all there is to know about it.

I think Keith was right to play with his for a while first.   Same here.   I
am almost ashamed to say it took me over a week before I realised how one
could rearange things to get the centre post so that it was inverted and
so pointing downwards between the legs.  I don't mean it took me a week to
work out - that took about 2 minutes when I put my mind to it - just that
it took that long to get around to realising it should be able to do that.

I do not think the Benbo I have (1) is unusually heavy for its range of
adjustment and rigidity.

There is no cast lead alloy that I am aware of.  The tubing is supposedly
aircraft grade aluminium and some of the other hardware is cast aluminium
I would say, having hefted the disassembled components.

The knobs are not Nylon, and even if they were, what is wrong with nylon
used in the right place.  An excellent material.  I agree I have seen
better quality injection molding but they work and seem to be quite
robust.

I agree about a collapsed Benbo not being exactly compact but that is one
of the trade-offs for water I'mmersible legs and the versatility of the
central post which you can position almost anyway and anywhere you choose.

I think your impression of an inadequate angle between the two similar
legs is just a matter of your being unfamiliar with how to set it up.  I
mean no offence, just that a Benbo takes a bit of getting used to.

I just measured the spread of the legs (fully retracted) and set to as
near equilateral as I can judge.  The distances between the bottoms of the
legs are 780mm, 780 and 740.  That seems to me  to be fairly even spacing
and therefore angle.  Drop it a bit lower and the bottom of the central
column is on the ground also and I have a quadrapod!   Raise the column,
extend the legs then lay all three legs flat to the ground and the
footprint is hardly what I would call narrow 2220mm, 2220 and 1220.  The
longer measurements are even longer than Acer is tall ;-)

The story, as I have heard it and understand is that the original
designer/s (?) left Benbo (Kennet Engineering) and started up Unilock and
made some adjustments to the design incorporating some improvements, most
notably models with an elbow joint in the central column and the ability
on some models of removing the legs and forming a monopod or attaching
really short stubb legs to form a table tripod (I have a brochure;-).

I like mechanical beauty also but there is a certain beauty in true
functionality and ingenuity and Benbos/Unilocks have this kind of beauty
in my eyes.  I agree certain bits could be prettied up a bit I don't think
they would add one iota of functionality.

I disagree completely about four section legs.  The more sections you have
the more room there is for play between the bits hence you sacrifice
rigidity for the sake of compactness when collapsed.  So you sacrifice a
quality of the tripod when it is 'in' use for a quality it has when it is
'not' in use.  Also, the more sections you have, the more weight you have
in terms off hardware such as locks and fittings for each section, not to
mention extra weight for the bit of each tube which has to overlap the
other.

I agree completely about how nice a carbon fibre Benbo would be ;-)

The hardware already is aluminium, just robust ;-)

Giles