RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 16:09:49 -0800
From: Ilona Lemieux <lmx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...First
of all, the tripods are HEAVY, apparently due to the use of some cheap,
easily cast lead alloy.

Huh? It's an aluminum alloy. Are you SURE you were once a machinist -- can't tell lead from aluminum? :-)

Those "large fastening knobs" are made of cheap
looking plastic...

They are quite sturdy. I've banged mine hard on rocks while climbing. I've banged them hard while skiing, in temperatures that would shatter cheap plastic. I think they're probably Delrin or some other tough plastic. IMHO, they are better than either Gitzo collar-locks (yuk) or Manfrotto lever locks.

Because of the 2-section legs, the tripod is quite long when
collapsed...

Yes, this is my major criticism. A three-section design in carbon fiber and magnesium would be sweet!

the middle post does not easily fit  between the legs when
storing...

The key is to open the center leg slightly, then it folds rather neatly.

the angle of spread between the two similar legs seems to be
inadequate (this is not apparent from the brochures), which leads to a
pretty narrow footprint.

Aha! You've blown your cover. You haven't actually used the thing -- at least not long enough to figure out how it works.

You can set the legs to whatever angle you like, and can even lock them into the "narrow footprint" you so detest. This is actually quite handy in some situations, and you can't do that with a "normal" tripod!

So I don't think you gave it a fair trial, Ilona. Mine, at least, has rather nice "fit and finish." Although I've never been a professional machinist, I do work metal now and then.

This is not to say the Benbo (or Unilok) is perfect. My legs were rather difficult to move, so I tore it down and "faced" the joints with a file, removing the paint and making a flat aluminum surface. I then lubricated the joints, and now I can get very fine graduations of tension in the center joint. You want it "sloppy loose" for setting up and tearing down, "rock tight" while you're shooting, and just tight enough to support the camera while moving about for the right shot -- especially for macro.

If I were building it, I'd face those joints with a Teflon gasket.

Another mod I've been meaning to do -- the inter-leg wedge sections could have a little post sticking out of them, so you could easily adjust them. (Hint to Ilona -- these bits are the key to adjusting leg spread angle.) I've been looking around for something nicer than a screw to tap into there.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>