RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: Ilona Lemieux <lmx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 10:39:53 -0500
i´ve been in the market for a stable tripod for quite some time, and have
always considered benbo/uniloc to be the prime contenders.  I´ve had great
expectations based on magazine reviews, all of which seem to be positive.
Then I finally met a "trekker" and a "1" in a local shop.  Now I have some
reservations.  I think the concept is brilliant, but the execution
questionable.   Looks like something cobbled together in a garage.  First
of all, the tripods are HEAVY, apparently due to the use of some cheap,
easily cast lead alloy.  Those "large fastening knobs" are made of cheap
looking plastic (looks like nylon!) - probably an attempt to offset the
weight.  Because of the 2-section legs, the tripod is quite long when
collapsed,  the middle post does not easily fit  between the legs when
storing, and the angle of spread between the two similar legs seems to be
inadequate (this is not apparent from the brochures), which leads to a
pretty narrow footprint.

I´m a former machinist, and mechanical beauty is important to me(that´s why
I like olympus stuff!)  If you have a similar bent, stay away!  I recall
reading somewhere that of the two mfrs. of this type of tripod(uniloc and
benbo) that benbo had the quality edge.  I can´t imagine.  If anyone has
encountered a uniloc product, I´d like a review.  I still think the concept
is wonderful and deserves an embodiment worthy of it.   I imagine . . .
carbon fiber, 4-section legs,wider angle spread between the similar legs,
aluminum, or magnesium hardware.  I think the combo would be killer for
nature photographers.  I don´t understand why a major mfr doesn´t take up
the idea - I´m sure the patent expired years ago.

I´m sure the benbo can do stuff no other tripod can, and if that stuff is
important, they are indispensable.  Just thought I´d make known the less
rosy aspects of the tripod.  I can´t imagine someone who has owned a bogen
not being disappointed with the quality of a benbo when purchased through
the mail, sight unseen.

I must agree that the manfrotto/bogen line seems to offer the best value
for money.  Gitzo seems to be cynically expensive.