RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: RE: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 00:15:56 -0500
Acer,
You'll get more bang for the buck in a Bogen (Manfrotto) than a Gitzo.  But
look around.  I found a store with a Benbo that a customer special ordered,
then backed out of the deal.  I got the Benbo for $140.  It is great for
"field" as well as streets.

Some of the later models of Manfrotto's have better locking mechanisms than
earlier models.   I got a 3401 (like the 3021) and think it's great.
It would be hard for me to choose between the Manfrotto or the Benbo, real
hard.  I can tell you though that I traded a Gitzo Studex 3 Performance for
the Manfrotto and some other gear.  The Studex was too much tripod since I
wasn't using 4x5 anymore.  The Gitzo was great, but heavy.  To be fair, the
Gitzo model I had isn't in the same class as the Bogen 3401,3021.

You also might take a look at the Slik 300, 500 & 700 tripods.  Seem to me
to be a good product line.  500 looks to have really nice feature/price
ratio.  700 is similar to some Manfrotto 30xx products.

I've not mentioned tripods on this list when I've made my trips to Columbus
Camera and Midwest Photo, but both stores have quite a quantity of used
tripods.  If you're not in a hurry, I can let you know what they have next
time I'm there.
Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx