Re: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: Re: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: Robinsnes@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 20:10:26 EST
Acer:
    You are moving along rather nicely into some interesting photographic
areas. You are learning quickly. I'll offer you some old man pro experience.
You need to think out what you are willing to give up...weight Vs stability.
Stability means big and heavy. The tripod threads in the archives should
confuse you enough. I have owned big tripods, small tripods, you name it. For
serious work, I find the Benbo indispensable. It always, by the way, is mated
to a Bogan joystick and I only mount my Hasselblads on it.
    Tripods can be bought with or without heads. Buy one without a head
already attached, because then you have your choice of being able to mount a
head which will do exactly that you want it to do.
    Lightmeters don't work when there is really very little light. Well, they
work, but they don't give you any useful information about what it will do to
your film. I recommend bracketing the exposures and understanding the
characteristics of the film you are using matched to what you are
photographing. :-)
    An old Luna-Pro or quantum meter is adequate. I use a seconic that relies
on only one AA battery. That was the reason for choosing it...AA battery,
only ONE,
    Only you can gauge your electronic needs. I find that the one I have
doesn't do a lot of things. I just have to do the arithmetic in my head and
it usually works out just fine. Remember film has latitude and be sure to
bracket if you're not sure. Pick a meter that is small and not overly
complicated. That way you will carry it always, and use it a lot...and it
will teach you about light. My colleagues who own those big expensive meters
rarely have them with them because they are too cumbersome. Pick something
small and convenient. The new digitals from Seconic and Luna Pro that are
small seem like the ticket for me. I'd rather carry an extra lens than have
to sacrifice because of the size of the meter. Yes, I have owned one of those
big turkeys too.
    That's my .02 cents. Hope it helps.:-)

Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com