Re: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter

Subject: Re: [OM] (long) whippersnapper needs legs and lightmeter
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:43:46 +1100
John Lind wrote

> Since you mention a pan head (versus ball
> head), one of the ones commonly used on the 3021 legs is the Bogen 3030
> head with a quick release (3029 is the same without the QR).  For a couple
> extra bucks, having the QR is very handy!

I use the Manfrotto 352RC quick-release "mini-ball" head and 190 legs.
(Bogen is Manfrotto's US name). I subject them to very hard use -
lots of car transport, backpacking and back-country use.

I did have serious problems with things working loose, binding, and
grit working in, so eventually stripped both right down, cleaned them
up, and replaced the grease with molybdenum grease. This stuff is
sometimes used for exposed things on cars. It is much more water-
resistant than lithium grease, and it doesn't attract the dirt as
much, but isn't as thick. Now the tripod and head smell a little, but
I've had no more problems, and the ball head especially works much
more smoothly than when it was new. I suspect some of the loose
fasteners were that way from new rather than worked loose, since
they're still tight after a lot of hard use.

The leg locks are a pain but not as bad as Gitzo ones.