Re: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick

Subject: Re: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick
From: Daryl F Hurley <dhurley@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:33:50 -0600
On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 17:24:24 -0600 (CST) "Barry B. Bean"
<bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> My lovely and talented wife (and artist of some local and regional
> acclaim) has been asked to submit slides of several pieces (1
> painting, 1 tapestry, one mixed media) for anational juried show, and
> has asked me to the pictures.
> Unfortunately, I only have 10 days to:

Oh, lucky you!!  ;-)

> 1) figure out how to shoot them (my shooting is primarily landscape,
> sports, and news)

doesn't matter.

> 2) Acquire any extra equipment necessary (I'm 100 miles from the
> nearest shop that would even consider a rental)

forget rental - - this is a rare chance to buy with spousal blessings!

> 3) Shoot the art
> 4) Get the art developed (at the prolab 100miles away - at least 3
> days for turnaround from here)
> 5) Pick the final slidesand ship them to the museum.

plenty of time, overnight, fedex, send the wife, etc.

> I need suggestions on the following:
>
> 1) Film: I am inclined to shoot the art with Provia 100 and a
> saturated film, either Velvia or E100VS. I also keep a supply of
> E100SW on hand.

Use a film that will render as close to true color as possible.  Punching
up the color will make the real thing look drab later.

> 2) Lens: I would imagine my 50/1.8 would be the best lens to use,
> but
> I also have the 21, 24, 28, 100, 135, and 180/2.8 lenses (and a
> 50/1.4) to choose from.

one of the 50's will do, or  if you have the space, I like the 100/2.8.

> 3) Lighting: Since I can't simply order up an overcast day on
> command, I'll probably have to make do with what I have: a Sunpack
> 433D and an old yellowed Vivitar 283. I haven't shot any color with
> the 283 and would be worried about the yellowedlns on it. I don't
> have any remote cords,controllers, etc.

Avoid the flash, if you can, to eliminate unpredictable and unwanted
highlights.  If you can't control the weather, at least find open shade,
use a tripod.  If you must use artificial light, go with "hot" lights and
the proper film or filtration to correct to the color temperature.

> 4) Backdrop: I don't have one, although I do have a nice white wall
> and clean beige carpeting available. I intend to compose with
> aslittle backdrop showing as possible.

Or buy a piece of plain old undyed seamless muslin.  Hang it, drape it,
lay it on the ground, just don't try to unwrinkle it!

Hope some of this helps.

Daryl Hurley
Topeka, Kansas