Re: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick

Subject: Re: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:41:58 EST
Hi Barry,

    I've been curious about the same problem. What I would do in your case is
as follows:

          *      I would not use flash without a lot of experience--you might
get
                 unintended reflections for example. I'd use daylight balanced
                 fluorescent or incandescent lightly behind a white sheet as a
                 diffuser. Also you wife can make a judgment on the picture
                 prior to the shot--which she couldn't do with flash. Arrange
the
                 angle of the light source to pick up textures.

          *      If the art is 2 dimensional, I'd use the 50F1.8, otherwise
I'd use
                  the 100 for the same reason you'd use a 100 over a 50 for
                  a face shot--less apparent distortion.

          *      I would NOT use any "over the top" slide films!  Fuji 100F
                 or Astia or Kodachrome 25.

          *      If the art work is color, I would use a black background and
                  take the exposure from the art work itself. Arrange the work
                  so that it appears to float in space, surrounded by a black
                  background. Austere black/white work might look best with
                  a white background.  Let your wife make this call.

           *     If the art is 2D, include the frame in the picture.
Otherwise
                 visit a museum or gallery for more ideas.

     There's the other obvious technical stuff (tripod, polarizer, MLU,
bracketing, etc.), but I'm sure you know that. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Alex

bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< My lovely and talented wife (and artist of some local and regional
 acclaim) has been asked to submit slides of several pieces (1
 painting, 1 tapestry, one mixed media) for national juried show, and
 has asked me to the pictures. Unfortunately, I only have 10 days to:

 1) figure out how to shoot them (my shooting is primarily landscape,
 sports, and news)

 2) Acquire any extra equipment necessary (I'm 100 miles from the
 nearest shop that would even consider a rental)

 3) Shoot the art

 4) Get the art developed (at the prolab 100miles away - at least 3
 days for turnaround from here)

 5) Pick the final slidesand ship them to the museum.

 I need suggestions on the following:

 1) Film: I am inclined to shoot the art with Provia 100 and a
 saturated film, either Velvia or E100VS. I also keep a supply of
 E100SW on hand.

 2) Lens: I would imagine my 50/1.8 would be the best lens to use, but
 I also have the 21, 24, 28, 100, 135, and 180/2.8 lenses (and a
 50/1.4) to choose from.

 3) Lighting: Since I can't simply order up an overcast day on
 command, I'll probably have to make do with what I have: a Sunpack
 433D and an old yellowed Vivitar 283. I haven't shot any color with
 the 283 and would be worried about the yellowedlns on it. I don't
 have any remote cords,controllers, etc.

 4) Backdrop: I don't have one, although I do have a nice white wall
 and clean beige carpeting available. I intend to compose with
 aslittle backdrop showing as possible.

 Thanks in Advance,

 BBB >>