[OM] Copying Art - need help quick

Subject: [OM] Copying Art - need help quick
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 21:01:42 -0800
Cc: bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Barry,

About six years ago when I really needed to keep up on the mortgage I got me
some jobs
shooting for galleries and artists in Southern California (believe me, it was
better than
shooting real-estate).  Well I had to learn quick because my only experience up
until then
was watching some top guys shoot it in a studio and shooting my stuff outside
on those
overcast June days at the beach.

Lenses- wider lens work best stay with 28-35mm with a good polarizer.
Copy Stand- professional copy stand (hey I've got the only OM copy stand I've
ever seen)
If no copy stand place image on flat wall surface flat against the wall. And
get a very
level tripod (use a spirit bubble)
Strobes- any thing that works well will work. Need at least 2 with some type of
stands or
rigs to aim them at 45 degrees to the flat art. Must be able to constantly
reposition these
in small increments.
Polarizing film- for putting over the the front of the strobes. You probably
don't have this
so call B&H Photo and get a sheet of this gel.  Lee Filters brand works well.
If you want
to go first class use a whole sheet with gel holders attached to your stands
about a couple
of inches from the strobes. Otherwise be thrifty and tape a small piece over
the front of
each strobe.
Flash Meter- preferably a 1 degree or a meter with a 1 degree attachment.  A 3
degree
attachment will work in a pinch.
Film- most good slide films such as E100s will work.

Now you are ready for some good results.
Take about eight - one degree (spot) readings over the surface of the work. Try
mixing
highlights and shadows.  Keep adjusting the strobes (by moving or adjusting
power settings
until you get at least 6 readings across within 1/3 stop (ok 4 readings since
it's your
first time).  (Hey I once got 8 readings within a 1/10 stop). Now you just have
to do a
little bracketing and you're done.

Keep in mind these things.  Oil paint absorbs light. Thick areas of paint will
absorb more
light than thin areas.  Must keep this thing polarized to avoid flash burn and
and lens
glare reflections. Remember 45 degree angles. You are looking to capture exact
contrast and
color. So every little movement of the light source will affect the outcome.

Ok if this sounds too complicated do every thing the same way but out doors in
overcast sun.
Use polarizer to avoid glare.  No need for flash but do the multi spot meter
thing.  Thank
the gods of Mt. Olympus for putting that multi spot baby on the OM4.

Try to avoid tungsten lighting unless you really know wht you are doing.  I
have seen some
fairly good results with two of those blue 250 watt photo bulbs.  I've also
watched some of
those bulbs explode. However you are going to need some good stands and
reflectors here.
I've seen some desperate artists get good neg prints this way. Not for me.

Once you have the finished slides put them into projector and project image
next to the
original.  Can you tell which is real and which is memorex?

Good luck,
Phillip Franklin