Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:06:32 -0600
On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 04:50:02PM +0000, Barks wrote:
> Lockheed went on to build the F-104 Starfighter which
> managed to make like a lawn dart many times, especially for the
> European Air Forces which used it for ground attack.  Many pilots
> were killed.   A single-engined, single-seat interceptor with no nav
> kit and a turning circle the size of Texas ...
> But it was a dream to photograph... and it was a legend among its pilots.

One of these is in private hands. While I was learning to fly, it lived in a
hangar at Ellington Field (ex-AFB), in Houston, the airport I flew out of.
Seems EFD was one of a very small number of airports that fit the aircraft's
requirements, and the FAA's, as well...
I got to see it fly several times, but never had a camera with me. The
pilot/owner moved it to central Texas when he couldn't get a tax break from
Houston for his warbird museum.