Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:09:21 -0600
Rand E. wrote:

> Emil,
>   If I have my history and numbers correct, the following is true.  The
> P51 in it's initial form (smaller engine and no boost) was turned down
> by the Brits earlier in the war (and rightfully so, it was a dog).  By
> adding a decent engine and boost, it became a true performer.  One of
> the the big reasons why the numbers for the P51 are so great is that the
> plane was present in massive numbers and when the hunting was just about
> ideal.  One cannot argue that it was a great plane, it also didn't hurt
> to be in the right place at the right time either.
> Another Buff,
> Rand E.

Ok here we go.

The Mustang was designed by North American Aviation for the British. It
is not a British design.  They had come to NA to have them manufacture
the P40 Tomahawk.  North American said they could design and build a
better airplane and do it in an incredibley short time (I think 6
months).  The result was called the Mustang by the RAF.  The US Army
Aircorps acquired the same plane as the A36 Apache and used it as a dive
bomber/ground attack aircraft.  With the original 1200hp Allison engine
at low and medium altitude it was a wonderful airplane, however it
suffered at altitude.   At the insistence of one of their best fighter
pilots, the British decided to try the Mustang with the Rolls Royce
Merlin engine.  That was a spectacularly successful combination and
became the P51 Mustang.  The P51 was great because it was a well
balanced design that could dogfight the best the Luftwaffe had and it
could travel very long distances to escort the Allied bombers. It was a
great airplane and not just because it was made in great numbers.

Jerry Liles