Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] OSS etc
From: Barks <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 18:19:23 +0000
No pix, but one time a few years ago, I had just gotten off a ski lift
at Heavenly Valley in Lake Tahoe. We were at the top of a run, about to
descend, when I heard a plane. It was a rather different sounding plane
than I'd heard recently.  I knew it was a prop right away, but still it
sounded different - more throaty, stronger than I remember hearing.  We
stopped and looked around. Couldn't see anything for a minute or so but
the sound was getting louder, then suddenly it rose over the top of the
next ridge and dived down into the valley in front of us.  Of course, it
was a P-51 Mustang, looking, sounding and flying like brand new.  We
watched it buzz the valley then rise above, and disappear behind the
next ridge (OM content: it's flight path looked very similar to a
straight line rendered at the top of the frame of a Zuiko 24/2 :>). It
was quite a sight.

george

And those who own and fly them (e.g. Confederate Air Force) are pretty well off.

I have some lovely photos of a friend of mine in an old Hawk Moth at the Shuttleworth Museum at Old Warden 4 years ago. I am *going* to set up a web site to show some of these beautiful aircraft - all taken with OMs of course.

It was at the same show that he flew the the Bristol Boxkite, a machine from the early 1900s (actually a replica) which needs almost complete calm conditions to fly in.

Chris

~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker
mailto:cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx