Re: [OM] OM4 Damage Question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 Damage Question
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:37:16 -0500
On the Damage issue: I once dropped an OM-1 with MD1, 18v grip, and 75-150/4 from my shoulder to a brick sidewalk and the OM-1 ended up with a cracked mirror box and a trip to OM heaven. Olympus told me it was "beyond economic repair". (But I, like others, have a hard time believing an OM-4 would shatter. It would have to have been dropped from a significant height, maybe 20' or above onto a very hard surface.)

On the seller's behavior: I agree with Warren, he probably had a good offer and ended the auction early. I have done this too for a couple of auctions, but I set a limit of 1-2 days prior to the end of the auction as my limit, otherwise, it has to go to completion. I also emailed all bidders after I ended an auction with an explanation and an offer to beat the price that I was offered. I didn't have anybody that was angry.

But I'd DEMAND a picture of the damaged camera. If you don't get it within 1-2 weeks, I would warn him of impending negative feedback. If he's a big seller, it probably won't do much good, otherwise, it may stick out in his record. As someone else pointed out, that's the only avenue you have for this situation. At least you didn't get a mis-represented item from a seller and then he/she disappeared.

Skip

At 1/18/00 10:26 PM  -0500, you wrote:

>  I'd lay 10:1 odds that he really didn't drop it. I doubt he would
>  be so stupid as to relist it at a later date, but you never know.
>
>  Chip Stratton

The second highest bidder probably made him a proposition he should have
turned down _and_ supplied him with the tall tale to tell.

Warren